About the College
Located in Columbia, in the center of the state of South Carolina, the departments and programs of the College of Engineering and Computing at the University of South Carolina are at the center of developing research, innovations and new discoveries. Our central location puts us within a few hours’ drive from major metropolitan cities such as Charlotte and Atlanta, beautiful beaches, and gorgeous mountain vistas making Columbia, South Carolina the ideal place to live, work and play.
The College of Engineering and Computing offers bachelor’s, masters and doctoral programs in the following academic tracks: Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and the state’s only Nuclear Engineering graduate program (graduate degrees and undergraduate minor). We also offer an Accelerated Master’s Degree program. Additionally, we offer two executive masters programs in Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Management.
- John Swearingen (deceased), benefactor of our building bearing his name, former CEO of Standard Oil Company of Illinois (later Amoco and now BP), 1938 Chemical
- Hon. Andrew. (“Andy”) H. Card, Jr., Former White House Chief of Staff, 1971 Civil
- Hamilton Lott, Executive Vice President, Nucor Steel, 1972 Civil
- Alex Molinaroli, President, Johnson Controls, 1983 Electrical
- Krista Marks, General Manager, Disney Online Kerpoof! Studios, 1989 Electrical
- John (“Jerry”) Blackmon, Former North Carolina State Senator, 1954 Mechanical
- Chris King and Michael Sechrest, Founders of Speedtree used in Avatar, 1993 and 1996 Computer Engineering (Chris), 1994 and 1996 (Michael)
- Drew Card, Creative Director and Rachel Card, Business Manager, VoidStar Creations, makers of Poker Smash and other indie games for Xbox and iOS, 1998 (Drew) and 2000 (Rachel) Mechanical